Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

IS BEING DONE ……. HAS BEEN DONE

PASSIVE VOICE 

·         Is/are being ….(present continuous passive)
Somebody is painting the door. (Active)
Door is being painted the. (Passive)

ü  My car is at the garage.  It is being repaired. (= somebody is repairing it)  
ü  Some new houses are being built opposite the park. (=somebody is building them)

Compare the present continuous and simple present:
ü  The office is being cleaned at the moment. (continuous)
The office is cleaned every day. (Simple)  
ü  In Britain footballer matches are usually played on Saturday, but
Not matches are being played next Saturday.

·         Has/have been…..(present perfect passive)
Somebody has painted the door. (Active)
The door has been painted. (Passive)

ü  My key has been stolen. (=somebody has stolen it)
ü  My keys have been stolen. (=somebody has stolen them)
ü  I’m not going to the party. I haven’t been invited. (=nobody has invited me)

Compare the present perfect and past simple:
ü  The room is clean now. It has been cleaned. (present perfect)
The room was cleaned yesterday. (Past simple)
ü  I can’t find my keys.  I think they’ve been stolen. (present perfect)
My keys were stolen last week. (Past simple)


Taken from: Essential Grammar in Use



No comments:

Post a Comment