Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

SOME AND ANY


SOME
ANY
Use some in positive sentences:
I’m going to buy some clothes.
There’s some ice in the fridge.
We did some exercises.
Use any in negative sentences:
I’m not going to buy any clothes.
There isn’t any orange juice in the fridge.
We did not do any exercise.


·         Any and some in questions
In most questions (but not all) we use any:
Ø  Is there any ice in the fridge?
Ø  Has he got any friends?
Ø  Why didn’t you buy any food?


We normally use some (not any) when we offer things (would you like ….?):
Ø  A    : would you like some coffee?
    B    : yes, please.
Or when we ask for things (can I have …?):
Ø  A    : can I have some soup, please?
    B  : yes, help yourself.
Ø  A    : can you lend me some money?
     B    : sure. How much do you need?

·         Some or any without a noun
Ø  I didn’t take photographs but Ann took some. (= some photograph)
Ø  You can have some coffee but I don’t want any. (=any coffee)
Ø  I’ve just made some coffee. Would you like some? (=some coffee)
Ø  ‘Where’s your luggage?’  ‘I haven’t got any.’ (=any luggage)
Ø  ‘Are there any biscuits?’ “Yes, there are some in the kitchen.’(=some biscuits)

Something/somebody (or someone)
she said something
I saw somebody (or someone)
Would you like something to eat?
Quick! Somebody’s coming
Anything/anybody (or anyone)
She didn’t say anything
I didn’t see anybody
Are you doing anything this evening?
Where’s Ann? Has anybody seen her?


Taken from: Essential Grammar in Use

3 comments: