Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2012

DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH

žDirect speech is a sentence who is spoken directly by a speaker .
žIndirect speech is when we report what speaker said indirectly .
Look at the example :
Direct  Speech : she said , “ I’m a teacher “.
Iindirect speech : she said that she was a teacher.
From the example :
a.SHe said, told : reporting verb ( introductory verb )
b.SHe was a teacher : reported verb ( the main verb which is reported )

Be careful when you use tell / told and say / said. Told always needs a direct object while saidalways needs an indirect object

Incorrect :  She told to me …..  ,  She said me …..
correct :  She told me….  ,  She said ….

For example ;
direct speech : “ I always go to school “ .
indirect speech :   she told me that she always went to school .

direct speech : “ I’m doing my homework “
indirect speech: she said that she was doing her homework.

When the reporting verb is in the form of past, the tense and the person are changed :

The change of person
For example 1 :
Yeni to Keken : yeni said,” I go to pantai panjang “. { direct speech }.
Keken to Een : “ she said that she went to pantai panjang “. { indirect speech }

Example 2 : žDedi to Ega : Dedi said, “ I don’t like tennis “. { direct speech}”.
žEgha to lala : “ He said to me that He didn’t like tennis “ { indirect speech }”. 

The change of Tense
example :
Dani to lisa.
direct speech: “ I am studying now “.
indirect speech:
he said that he was studying now.

Marisa to Putri
direct speech:
“ I will study tomorrow “.
indirect speech: she told me that she would study the day before. 

the change of tense:


Direct speech

Indirect speech

Simple Present ( V1)

Simple Past ( V2  )

Present Continuous
(is/am/are + V-ing )

Past Continuous
( was/ were + V-ing )

Simple Past ( V2 )
Present Perfect
( has/ have + V3)
Past Perfect ( had + V3 )

Past Perfect      (  had + v3 )

Simple Future
( modals + V1 )

Past future
( modal past + V1 )



the change of time

Direct speech

indirect speech
Today

that day

Now

Then/ at the time

Yesterday

The day before

…. Ago

… before

Last ….

The…. Before

Tomorrow

The day after

Next

The… after 

This
This / that

That

That

These

Those

Those
Those

Here
There

    No comments:

    Post a Comment